Friday, August 26, 2011

iPhone Commercial Parody




As a generally happy Apple customer, I bought two 2G iPhones on the first day they hit the market (one for myself and one for my romantic partner at the time). When the 3G came out, I bought that model too.

The first iPhone captivated the world because the interface was so well done, so snappy, so interactive; it was like nothing before it. Of course it was, it was an Apple product. That, right there, is why I buy Apple products. And I didn't even mind that it was missing "copy and paste," MMS, ringtones, etc — because I knew Apple would eventually get to these through software updates. And eventually they did. Unfortunately they kept coming out with new phones. With faster processors. And they wrote all their software updates for these phones, with little attention to deprecated models. I don't really use third party software on my phones, I honestly don't even use ringtones. I just use my phone for SMS, web, maps, and occasionally as an actual phone, so the 3G model was more than I ever needed.

Except over time, it's fulfilled my needs less and less. And it's not because my needs have grown. It's not because I've installed a bunch of laggy software. It's because Apple's firmware has become bloated, with respect to the processing power of the 3G iPhone. I just installed iOS 4 two weeks ago, and at this point, I'd be happy to roll back to the first firmware I ever had, just to have that original speed again; forget about the copy and paste, I don't need it that badly.

So, tongue firmly in cheek, I decided to compare my phone to the first iPhone commercial that Apple ran. That commercial lasted twenty-eight seconds. How long will my phone take for the same tasks?

---
Legal/DMCA disclaimer:

For the record, I believe this video to be a parody, and to be covered by "Fair Use." My reasons for this are manifold. This video is for non-commercial and educational purposes. Of the original copyrighted works, the tv commercial itself has no monetary resale value (the commercial is not a product offered for public sale), and my parody video should have no negative impact on the sale of Orba Squara's music (they created the music track in the background of the Apple commercial). Lastly, my video is obviously satirical in nature, and can only be perceived as commenting on the original video which it parodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment